Haiti Arise Medical Team

Haiti Arise Medical Team
Back Row; Teresa, Mike, Rick, Dr Braam, Martin, Monique, and Dave Front Row: Lynnise, Elma, Betty, Sharon, Elva, and Noreen

Monday 11 March 2013

Haiti Is Alive, Full of Hope and Energy!

Blog by Lynnise

Tis Monday evening and the supper dishes are done, the pill counting party has started and it is time to wind down from even a more busier day of 176 people and scripts totalling 541 under the heat of the country. The pharmacy temperature was 93 degrees! Dave and the crew in pharmacy are getting more creative with the medication containers and substitutions as the supplies are starting to dwindle – pharmacy goodies are going home in pillowcases now - chickens are even being ordered on the  script!



Gramma, Lynnise and David
My day started out with such a blessing – I had been watching all last week for my sponsor child and his Gramma and today I was told someone was waiting for me – there was little David (almost 3 yrs) and his Gramma waiting for me at the guest house – the biggest smile and hug you could ever get. I will back up a bit on my story..this is my 3rd medical mission trip to Haiti Arise – on my first trip in 2011 Pastor Marc came to me and asked if I would consider  taking a little baby boy – he had been a “rape baby” from the earthquake and his mother tried to suffocate him when he was about 4 months old – when she was caught , the mother ran away and the Grandmother was left to take care of this little one- who did not have any income to support her and this little ‘failure to thrive” baby. Well it didn`t take much deciding to take on the financial support of this little one and of course both my daughters Lynea  and Amber would have the “little black brother “ they had always wanted! When Gramma and baby David were brought back to be told that they had financial sponsorship the gleam in Gramma`s eye and the burden of worrying about food, clothing and medical support was  gone now…Lisa and Marc would send me picture updates and the change in both of them were amazing..Gramma started coming to church soon after..last year on my visit David was not too keen on me even being close to him so no pictures were taken – all he did was kick and scream – he didn`t want to be close to any “blanche” white person! Well today was totally different – I received a hug and a kiss on the cheek from my little guy…and when I pulled out the green Nerf  soccer ball David`s eyes lit up and the biggest giggle came out of him! I had gifts for Gramma too – always a new outfit, sewing kit, microfiber dishcloths and tea towels and for David of coarse a new Saskatchewan Rough Rider t-shirt- Gramma even commented that this was my favorite team!! I had a lot of other short outfits and a homemade denim rag quilt for him THEN the monies that I send each month goes to food for them so today was food delivery day a HUGE bag full of rice, beans, box of Cornflakes, powered milk, oil, margarine, cheese, fresh vegetables.  
What $35 per month can do.
 – I was speechless and overcome with emotion that a $35 monthly donation could do this!!!PLUS a bag of clothes and new shoes..today David met me in his school uniform – he is soon 3 years old and that means SCHOOL! Gramma`s greatest fear that she opened up to me today about was her fear if she died thorough the night “who would take care of him?” All along the plan has been when the first Children`s village duplex is completed, David will be placed there – I reassured Gramma that Pastor Marc  had a plan and I promised her  right there that I would financially support David right thorough so she need not worry…she laid her head on my shoulder and we hugged…as you can guess there was no a dry eye around! I was able to spend about half an hour then it was back to work…David came to clinic this afternoon – Dr. Bramm gave him a good looking over – we are concerned about a lump in his neck and has been having chest infections over the past few months so we sent him off for an x-ray – and will return tomorrow so we can make a plan of action.  All along we thought Gramma was in her 70`s well she is only 55 years old!! Let us all pray that it is nothing too serious and we will be able to treat with the medications we have left!

Smiles for the ROUGHRIDERS
Now for the action of the day..one raging lower leg infection (cellulitis) tracking up to the groin –another successful  IV for me,  heavy doses of antibiotics today and sent home with a saline lock ready for another dose in the morning, a serious acute case of malaria – how can one shiver in this heat! , a 2 year old with a 3rd degree oil burn of Friday of his right hand and lower forearm– Elma was in charge of this little one with dressings, a young pregnant mom with pre –eclmapsia (very high blood pressure )was sent to hospital for closer observation and possible delivery sooner than later we hope!, Noreen had diagnosed 3 abdominal aortic aneurysms last week along with some aortic stenosis`s-here is where 17 years of cardiology comes in handy! I had a newly diagnosed diabetic last week with blood glucose levels of 26.0mmol – we kept adding more medication each day she came – finally on Friday Dr.Bramm decided that we max her out on 3 oral agents – she came back this morning with a glucose level of 9.8 mmol – we did it! So with some good numbers I went to work strongly encouraging this lady to return for routine follow-ups and cutting out all the sugar possible…she definitely had the understanding ,,I could go on for a while longer but now is it 9pm or 10 pm?? Mmmm ..We had a time change yesterday – did anyone get the memo or email?? The Haitians who didn`t attend church sure didn`t get the message so that meant everyone was late today and we were getting up in the dark…not nice!!

Elma sizing shoes for this deserving Haitian woman
Hatian Gratitude
Just want to say hi to my daughters Lynea and Amber- can I say - sell the house and send money – I am staying!!!   LOL
Posted by Lynnise

2 comments:

  1. Wow Lynnise! How exciting to see the on-going
    positive change in little David and Gramma. What
    a thrill to see how much they have been blessed,
    especially from 2 years ago, and then again from
    last year. So sorry I can't be there to enjoy
    first hand the blessing I see from your pictures and report. You are so blessed! God is so good!
    Ruth Bartlett from Pangman









    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, your writing skills shine! That is where I must get mine from..
    So happy to see that Gramma and David are thriving and my jaw hit the floor when you said she was only a mear 55 years of age!
    Amber and I miss you so so much and I am saddened that you weren't there when I came home, but I realize that you are doing so much good that it helped.
    Good work everyone, it amazes me how you all diagnose and treat the people of Haiti without modern conveniences of the health care system.
    Can't wait to hear of a safe arrival for the whole team back in Canada.
    Countdown is on until Thursday night :)

    ReplyDelete

INSTRUCTIONS TO LEAVE A COMMENT!!!

Please comment as: Name/URL and fill your name in but leave the URL blank!

Please leave your first and last name as there are many people following this blog! Thanks.

Sorry for the inconvenience, for whatever reason you can not comment from a cell phone!